Sunday, November 9, 2014

Day 313- A Free Write First

I read a book a while back (like a year or two ago) that mentioned something that has stuck in my brain.  This guy mentioned that he did something he called "free writing."  He wrote that this helped him to clarify things about his life.  I looked it up on the Internet and there is such a thing that people do.  Here's what one website said about it: Free writing is a simple process that is the basis for other discovery techniques. Basic free writing follows these guidelines:
  • Write nonstop for a set period of time (10–20 minutes).
  • Do not make corrections as you write.
  • Keep writing, even if you have to write something like, "I don't know what to write."
  • Write whatever comes into your mind.
  • Do not judge or censor what you are writing.
It seems that writers use this to get past writer's block.  Others use it to spark creativity or to try to gain some clarity on something. This blog is kind of like free writing because I don't get paid for it.  Today, I did some free writing for my "first."

You can free write by using a pen and paper.  You can also use a computer. I decided to use my computer since I do not have any paper with me tonight.  Writing on the walls seems like a bad idea. Since I was on the computer, I was very grateful that you are not supposed to correct mistakes in free writing. Now the problem is can I read what I wrote. I did some free writing for 12 minutes.

I was able to read all but one word.  Wow, what in the world does osji;dmptbet mean?  Your guess is as good as mine. This was an interesting exercise and one that I may do again.  I found it easier to type with my eyes closed because I wanted to correct my mistakes when my eyes were open and part of the exercise was to let the thoughts flow as quickly as possible without correcting or editing anything.



I love seeing wild turkeys

I had some wonderful scenery today
 
 



As I read what I wrote, it was interesting. I saw that I was able to write about fears, frustrations, unfulfilled desires, and longings that I would have a hard time expressing to someone else. I'm glad I can express these things to God.  My writing was kind of a real honest prayer.  I was not able to take time to edit it to sound like it was supposed to sound. I'm afraid I try to sound like I'm supposed to sound when I pray instead of just being very honest with God. Why am I afraid to be honest with God about my real and deep feelings?  I want to be right and yet God loves me (us) when we are wrong. I think sometimes we need the safety of grace to express who we really are to God so He can expose the desires, sins, and longings that we have.  He is the only answer. Sometimes I can be guilty of not allowing the questions to surface so I can see that He is the answer.

I'm glad God loves me and can handle the frustrations, questions, and doubts of my heart. He knew all about those things before He ever sent Jesus to die for us. Aren't you glad that the One who knows us best loves us most?  I'm grateful that I don't have to pretend with God, even though I sometimes do.

Grateful I can be real in the abundant life,
Barry

3 things I thank God for today
1. His understanding that we are but dust
2. Mountains
3. Turkeys (like me)



No comments:

Post a Comment