Saturday, November 8, 2014

Day 312- A Supposedly Funny First

I am in Asheville, NC today.  I'm attending a seminar.  We had some free time in the afternoon so I was looking for a "first."  I googled fun things to do in Asheville.  I did not have a lot of time so that bumped out of a lot of things. I saw where I could take a comedy bus tour of downtown Asheville (for a fee, of course).  I took a comedy bus tour of downtown Asheville for my "first."

This sounded like the thing to do I wanted to see Asheville. I love comedy. What could go wrong? Not a whole lot.  I found it OK; it was a purple bus with gold trim. It was pretty fun.  Our tour guide/comedienne was Augusta Wind (get it??).  She was witty and she could do several voices pretty well. She thought quickly on her feet and interacted well with the people on the bus. She obviously knew a lot about Asheville and did a good job of poking fun at her city while showing us some of the culture and points of interest. She played music, danced around, picked at us, hollered at people on the street occasionally, and that kind of thing.  The people on the bus seemed to enjoy her and the time on the bus a lot.


There is the truth that some people's idea of comedy is different than others.  The information said that the comedy was PG-13.  I would have found it more enjoyable if it had leaned more to the PG and less to the 13 (I would not have wanted a 13 year old on the bus).  It leaned much more to married people humor would be a nice way to say it.  Alcohol was allowed on the bus. I did notice that there seemed to be a link between how much people drank (and nobody drank a whole lot, made a scene or got rude) and how much they laughed.  The more they drank, the more they laughed. I was not one of the ones that laughed the most. 


I had never seen someone get a massage on the street before

Funny girl, right here

Another comedian joins us


This walking trail was really nice but not a "first"


As we drove around and I watched the interaction between comedienne and tour bus people, I thought about how what I've been learning at the seminar would bring more true joy than a comedy bus.  That is as it should be.  The comedy bus was for a laugh and it got some. The seminar I've been attending is about grace.  The guy has been teaching about how when we understand grace, we should be able to take off our masks and be real with each other.  When you know that because of the blood of Jesus Christ that He has forgiven all your sins, you should have joy. The One who knows all your deepest and darkest sins does not hold them against you if you are one of His.  That sets us free to be real with each other and accept each other.  Not because we are perfect or have our act together. It is because we belong to Him and He's taken our sin, shame, embarrassment, and guilt upon Himself on the cross.  He actually became a curse for us.  Galatians 3:13 says, " Christ has redeemed us from the curse of the law, having become a curse for us (for it is written, “Cursed is everyone who hangs on a tree)."

That is really good news.  If you can find a reason to laugh today, go ahead and laugh real hard. It's good for you.  Even more important than that, thank the One who took all your junk upon Himself and let some real joy bubble up inside.

Laughing in the abundant life,
Barry

3 things I thank God for today
1. Tim Hawkins (a Christian comedian)
2. Billy Graham Training Center
3. Walking trails in the mountains

No comments:

Post a Comment