Monday, November 3, 2014

Day 307- A Blue Zone First

I've been reading this book titled "The Blue Zone."  It is about lessons for living longer from the people who've lived the longest.  This guy has identified several places around the world where people statistically live years longer than people in most other places.  These places are Sardinia, Italy, Okinawa, Japan, Loma Linda, California, and the Nicoya Peninsula, Cost Rica.  So, I'm moving to one of those places.  Not really, but the book tried to understand what is was about people in those regions that enabled them to live so long.

Near the end of the book, it mentioned the author had a website where you could go and fill out a questionnaire and it would give you an approximate idea of what your biological age is and how long you could expect to live (barring accidents, disease, and other things that cause death like most medicines advertised on TV).  I took the Blue Zone test today for my "first."

I was pretty apprehensive about taking the test. I'm not in the best shape of my life physically.  In fact, I'm at a pretty low state as far as my physical condition goes. I've not been exercising or eating very well in the last year.  Surprisingly, this has led to some weight gain.  How did that happen?

I took the test.  It actually turned out better than I hoped. My life expectancy is almost 83 years. This was a bit better than I had hoped.However, I can only expect to be healthy till age 75. That stunk.  I am encouraged because the test did not factor in that both my parents are still living so that's good news.  Then, the encouraging news was that I could extend my age by 14 years with some lifestyle changes.  How, you may ask.  Well, surprise of all surprises, I need to eat more fresh fruits and vegetables, exercise more, and lower my stress levels. Who would have ever thought of that?  The test said I was getting plenty of dairy. 



Less of this

More of this





That was kind of fun to look at. It encouraged me to take my health a bit more seriously.  The truth is that I could die tomorrow in a car wreck. I could get cancer in a year. I could live to be 99 or 100.  The Bible also gives a longevity test.  It is found in 1 John 5: 11-13 which says, " And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. Whoever has the Son has life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have life. I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life."

It's pretty clear. The people who have turned from their sin and self-sufficiency and have trusted in Jesus Christ in a very real way that has very real consequences have eternal life. They will live forever. Those who do not have Christ in their life do not have eternal life.  This means they live separated from God for all eternity.  Our relationship with Jesus determines our eternal well-being.  If we belong to Jesus, it is great.  If we do not, it is horrid.

One of the things that I will love about heaven is that the good times are long enough.  While on this earth, the good times don't last long enough. Those lovely experiences like an inspiring lunch with a friend, Christmas morning, a blessed worship service, or a trip home to see family is just never long enough.  In Heaven, there will be nothing but great times and they will not end too soon.  Praise the living Lord Jesus.

According to God's word, I'm going to live forever.  That's true longevity.

Grateful for true longevity in the abundant life
Barry

3 things I thank God for today
1. Eternal life in Jesus
2. Crisp Fall days
3. Ears


No comments:

Post a Comment