Thursday, November 27, 2014

Day 331- A V First

It's Thanksgiving today!! I fasted and prayed for my "first" on Thanksgiving.  You're right, I did not. 

Joel and I went walking this evening.  We started at almost dark. We were walking around the subdivision my sister lives in.  After dark, we were still walking and I heard something a bit odd. It sounded like geese.  I looked in the direction of the sound and I saw a V-shaped flock of geese flying in the dark. I checked my watch and it was 5:52. I saw and heard a V-shaped flock of geese at night with Joel for my "first."

I had no idea that geese flew after dark.  Perhaps something scared them and got them flying. Perhaps there is enough light around the neighborhood after dark that they were confused about what time it really was. They were flying pretty low; perhaps they were pets.  Whatever it was, it was odd and really got my attention.  Joel thought it was pretty cool as well.  He asked me why they flew in a V-formation.  I explained to him that it conserves their energy. The birds sort of draft off the bird in front and this cuts down on the wind resistance so they can fly faster and further. It really helps each other to fly this way. When the lead bird gets tired, he'll fall back in the formation and a different goose will take the point.







As I thought about this, it reminds me that as Christians we need each other.  We can do more together than we can independently.  When we have the encouragement, prayer, kindness, and inspiration from other believers, it really helps us become more of what God intends for us to be. I can sure lose motivation, purpose, focus, and an intention to live the life God has called me to live when I am not in close community with others.

I read somewhere that geese flying in formation honk to encourage those up front to keep up their speed. I don't know if that's true or not but it'd be cool if it was.  If it is true, it's nice that the geese in back are not honking criticism. They could honk things like, "I think we're going the wrong way," or I'm tired, can we stop now?" or even, "This bird in front of me stinks (you could probably guess why)."  there is always something to be critical about but that never really encourages anybody.  We should have the sense of a goose and "honk" encouraging words to each other.  I'm glad for the encouraging honkers God has put in my life. Aren't you??

Honking in the abundant life
Barry

3 things I thank God for today
1. Thanksgiving with much of my family
2. Encouraging people in my life that God has provided
3. Lessons from geese

No comments:

Post a Comment