Thursday, November 13, 2014

Day 317- A Spread First

This past weekend I was in the mountains attending a conference.  On the drive home, I stopped at a country produce stand kind of place.  They had some unique things for sale.  I bought some Mayhaw jelly and some pumpkin butter with honey to bring home to the family. I ate Mayhaw jelly and pumpkin butter with honey for my "first."

I don't remember eating Mayhaw jelly before, but I might have.  We have had Mayhaw syrup before and it was good. We had some rolls with our supper tonight so it was a good night to break out the new spreads.  I tried the pumpkin butter with honey on a roll first.  It was better than  I expected.  I'm not a big fan of apple butter and those kinds of things but this was pretty good.  Then, I tried the Mayhaw jelly on a roll. This was good jelly. I'm a pretty big jelly fan which may be why I'm getting bigger.  This was good and sweet.  I liked it the best because it was sweeter. The pumpkin butter had a more unique taste.

Laura tried these as well.  She said it was very yummy. Laura uses the word yummy much more than I do.  She said the pumpkin butter was a little exotic but good.  The sweetness of the Mayhaw jelly swung her vote that way as well.  Laura likes the food "firsts" that I bring home. I could do those every day but am trying not to overdo the food ones.









When I saw the pumpkin butter at the produce stand, I thought "pumpkin butter?"  Really?  I never would have thought of making butter out of a pumpkin. Pumpkins are more pies and jack-o-lanterns to me. I checked the ingredients and the first two are sugar and pumpkin.  I guess it's really pumpkin in there.

God can take some ingredients and do unusual things with them.  I was an extremely shy kid and God calls me to preach. That was a faith stretcher for me in a big way.  Laura did not have what one would think of as the ideal childhood to be a pastor's wife, but I think she's a wonderful one and I'm the pastor so my vote should count pretty high!  God took Paul who was one of the first terrorists to go after Christians and made him a missionary and a Bible writer.  It's been pretty wild to watch through the years how God takes people and uses them to do things that I'd never guess. We have a jail ministry that was started by a sweet little lady that I would not have picked as someone to start a jail ministry.  God did and our church has been so richly blessed by it. God has called people out of our church to go on short-term mission trips who have never flown on an airplane or who were terrified of bugs. They have had wonderful trips.

We should all be open to whatever God wants to do. It may not always be right in line with our gifts and strengths.  Certainly, it will sometimes but be open to whatever God calls you to do and give Him glory for it.

I'm reminded of 1 Corinthians 1: 26-29, "Brothers and sisters, think of what you were when you were called. Not many of you were wise by human standards; not many were influential; not many were of noble birth.  But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. God chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things—and the things that are not—to nullify the things that are, so that no one may boast before him."

Let God do what He wants to with you.  Everyone may be surprised, someone will be loved, and God will be glorified.

Sometimes surprised in the abundant life
Barry

3 things I thank God for today
1. Pumpkins
2. God's call on all of our lives
3. Woodpeckers




No comments:

Post a Comment