Sunday, November 16, 2014

Day 320- A Feud First

I preached on "Giving is Fun" tonight.  For my introduction, I used some questions and answers from the Family Feud TV show.  I read what the question was and then let our congregation suggests answers. Then, I would read what I hoped was something funny a contestant had said on the TV show.  I used some questions from the Family Feud TV show as an introduction to my sermon for my "first."

Here' s a few  of the questions that I used and the contestant's answers:
Name an animal whose name has three letters- Our congregation suggested answers like dog, cat, fox, etc. They were very good at this. I may need to book us on the show.
The contestant said frog
His buddy said alligator

Real or fictional, name a famous Willie- Our people said Willie Robertson and a few others.
The contestant answered Willie the Pooh

The following three answers came from the same contestant in a row:
Name something you take with you to the beach
Turkey
Name something you buy at the supermarket
Turkey
Name something you stuff
Turkey

Name a yellow fruit- Our church folks said lemon, pineapple, etc.
The contestant said an Orange

Name something that follows the word pork- Our church folks said chops.
The contestant said Epine

Name a kind of bear. Our church folks said things like grizzly, black, polar, etc.
The contestant said Pappa

Name an animal whose eggs you probably never eat for breakfast?
The contestant said hamster

Name something only worn by children?  One of our young boys hollered out the same asnswer the contestant said, "clothes." That was really funny.

The same guy did the following two answers.
Name a time when most people get up?
Morning
Name a time when most people go to bed?
Night

 








 
This was fun and the people seemed to be very engaged with what we were going. It was my way of introducing my subject tonight which was "Giving is Fun."  God loves a cheerful giver and it is very often fun to give.  Especially when you give to others as a way of giving to God.  Proverbs 19:17 says (NIV), "Whoever is kind to the poor lends to the Lord, and he will reward them for what they have done."  The Bible says that we can give to God when we give to the poor. That is especially true when our motive is right.  
 
If Jesus showed up at my house, I would want to do everything I could to serve Him. I would give Him the best seat, fix His favorite supper, and wait on His every need.  He's probably not going to show up at my house in physical form.  I can still serve Him by serving other people.  Matthew 25:40 says, "The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me."
 
Let's go serve Jesus by serving another human being with great joy and cheerfulness.  Here's a fun story from the book, "I Like Giving." "I was with my 3 boys on a Saturday afternoon going to drop off the younger two at Chuck E Cheese for a birthday party. I walk in to make sure that Graham and Joe were taken care of, and the boy manning the entrance rope, says “hey, that’s a really, really cool shirt”…..indeed it was, and my favorite shirt at that, a very, very nice UNC (sorry Duke fans) golf shirt. I said, “thanks” and dropped my boys off.
Well, I got back in the minivan, and the way that the boy had said what he said really impacted me. It was a combination of admiration and longing, the latter in a way that made it clear that he wasn’t in a position to be able to afford getting one on his own anytime soon.
So, off with my shirt. I asked my oldest son, Benjamin, to walk it in and give it to him. I then drove home topless…..better yet, I ran from the minivan to the house in our busy neighborhood topless (with just jeans and shoes on). My eldest son loved it…..I think that the boy at Chuck E Cheese loved it. I hope that Jesus loved it……..I know I did. :)"
 
That's a fun story.  Now, I need to go give to Jesus by giving to someone else in a way that Jesus will like it.
 
Glad Jesus gives most in the abundant life
Barry
 
3 things I thank God for today
1. Laughter in church
2. People who give to my family
3. The pastor's appreciation day at Hopewell- Thanks so much
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment