Thursday, November 6, 2014

Day 310- A Giving Challenge First


I am doing a bit of traveling today.  Sometimes I will leave a note for the family when I leave for a day or two.  I did that again today.

I decided to add a little something to the note today.  I left Laura, Hannah Grace, and Joel an envelope with a little (just a few dollars) money in it.  Part of the note I left told them I loved them and other family stuff like that.  The note also included this (edited): There is an envelope here with a little money in it. I challenge you to give that away while I’m gone.  You can give it to someone or buy something for someone and give it to them.  If y’all want to go in and do this together, that is fine. I’ve really enjoyed giving as part of my year of “firsts” and want you to have some of that joy as well.

I gave my family a few dollars and challenged them to give it away for my "first."

I talked to them tonight.  I knew Laura would be excited about this "first."  She said Hannah Grace and Joel were excited about it as well.  I talked to both of them.  Hannah Grace was a bit concerned about how she was going to do the challenge I gave her. I told her it was meant to be fun and she assured me that it was.  Joel seemed to have an idea or two.  I'm glad they were willing to entertain this challenge of giving. I'm excited to hear about how this challenge turns out for them.



Whose bed do you think has a gun (not real) and a Bible beside it?



You can probably guess who has children pictures by her bed


Who has Tinkerbell in her bed?


This past Sunday I preached on "Giving is Fun."  I want my children to experience the joy of giving. It really is fun.  That is one thing I've learned while doing my year of "firsts."  This is something that I would never have done if I had not been doing a year of "firsts."  This has helped me to see that Jesus did us a favor by saying, "It is more blessed to give than to receive."  It's good enough to want others to get in on it.

I'm excited to hear how the family does with their challenge.  Hopefully, it'll be pretty fun.  The Bible says in Acts 20:35, "I have showed you all things, how that so laboring you ought to support the weak, and to remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he said, It is more blessed to give than to receive."

Here's a prayer that I challenged our church to pray this week (you may have seen this earlier in the week in my blog, but if you are like me it is easy to forget), "I want to experience the joy that comes from giving . I ask that today an opportunity to give will come my way, that I will recognize it when it does, and that I will have the courage to jump in and give."  I'm continuing to be blessed by praying this way.

Learning that giving is a huge part of the abundant life
Barry

3 things I thank God for today
1. How God has given to me
2. Chicken wings
3. A family that is up to challenges

 

No comments:

Post a Comment