Tonight, I preached on how to have an awesome family. There is a difference in an average family and an awesome family. I want to have an awesome family. We have a lot of areas where we need to improve as a family, but we sure do enjoy each other. One of my points tonight about awesome families is that awesome families are growing families. The Bible says in Luke 2:52, "And Jesus grew in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and man."
So, today I asked some people what they learned in their families growing up for my "first." I wanted to know what some significant lessons were that people learned from their families of origin. I asked people from all different ages this question, "What is one thing that you learned from your family?"
Here are some of the answers I received.
- Work hard
- Don't argue with your Momma.
- Try new things.
- Don't lie.
- Always tell the truth. If a man will lie to you, then he will steal from you.
- Show respect to your elders.
- Immaculate table manners
- Work hard; good work ethic.
- Zip up the trampoline net before jumping.
- How to have a good sense of humor.
- Finish what you start.
- Protect your sisters.
- Be quiet and settle down.
- Jesus loves me and how to cook.
- Read the Bible
- Learn about God
- How to look up verses in the Bible.
There are some things that we learn from our families of origin. These include but are not limited to things like:
- Work ethic
- How to handle feelings
- How to do relationships
- How to handle conflict
- How to handle loss
- How to relate to God
We are also to learn from each other by example. We need to see sermons as well as hear them. My children will learn a lot about how to handle feelings, handle conflict, and how to treat people by watching Laura and me. They will hear me preach a lot of sermons in their lifetimes since I am their pastor. They will also learn a whole lot from living with me and observing my actions. I heard someone say one time that Christianity is caught as well as taught. I sure want my children to catch some real Jesus stuff from me instead of the flu (no, I don't have the flu; just an illustration).
Learning in the abundant life,
3 things I thank God for today
1. Lessons I learned from my parents
2. Blake singing "Mary, Did You Know?" in church today
3. Hannah Grace showing me the Youtube video "Pillow Fight Prank"-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeS5IU4Odus