Monday, December 1, 2014

Day 335- A Trashy First

I taught a small group Bible study tonight. It was our last night of an 8 week study titled "Follow."  Since I am a pastor, you might guess it is about following Jesus and you would be correct.  While I was driving home, I was thinking about a "first."  I had tried to do one earlier in the day but it just did not happen.

As I neared my house, I saw what looked like a case of beer in the road.  I assumed it was trash and not actually full of beer. This was a correct assumption.  I thought that was pretty inconsiderate of someone to throw out a box like that on the road.  They make a thing called a trash can and it does not take a whole lot of effort to drop an empty box in a trash can.  Then, it  hit me.  I stopped and picked up an empty case of beer for my "first."

Just like it does not take a lot of effort to put an empty box in a trash can, it does not take a lot of effort to stop and pick up a box out of the middle of the road.  At least not on our road at 9:00 at night.  There were no cars coming in either direction for as far as I could see. I've often seen trash on the road before, but I've never stopped at night to pick up an empty beer box.  It actually was not completely empty; it had 2 empty cans in it.  I did kind of wonder how 2 empty cans managed to stay in there. Why would someone only put 2 empty cans back in there and how did they stay in when it was thrown out of the window? As I thought about that, I did wonder how it stayed in the middle of the road. Shouldn't it have landed in the ditch?  Maybe it was a secret signal for Jason Bourne (think spy if you don't know who he is) and I moved it causing him to be in great harm??? Should I go put it back??  I did not mean to mess with national security. It was probably just trash, I guess.

Hannah Grace's trash can






 
The moon is not as photogenic as I would like

A touch of air freshener is in order

As I thought about this rather meaningless "first," I did think of how it easy it is to complain about something that is not right rather than to do something to make it right.  People should not throw empty cases of beer out on the road.  It could scare someone and cause an accident.  Well, probably not, but maybe I saved someone's life tonight.  Maybe I have an overactive imagination.  At least the trash got picked up. 

This reminded me of an old poem I read many years ago titled "Building or Wrecking Crew."
Ten little Christians, all standing in a line. One disliked the pastor, and then there were nine.
Nine little Christians, stayed up very late. One slept in on Sunday, and then there were eight.
Eight little Christians, on their way to heaven. One took the low road, and then there were seven.
Seven little Christians, chirping like some chicks. One disliked the music, and then there were six.
Six little Christians, seemed very much alive. One lost his interest, and then there were five.
Five little Christians, each busy as a bee. One got her feelings hurt, and then there were three.
Three little Christians, knew not what to do. One joined the sporting crowd, and then there were two.
Two little Christians, our rhyme is nearly done, differed with each other, and then there was one.
One little Christian, can’t do much ’tis true, brought his friend to Bible study, and then there were two.
Two earnest Christians, each one won more. That doubled the number, and then there were four.
Four sincere Christians worked early and worked late. Each won another, and then there were eight.
Eight splendid Christians, if they doubled as before, in just a few short weeks we’d have 1,024.
In this little jingle there is a lesson true. You either belong to the building or to the wrecking crew.

Philippians 2:14-15 says, "Do everything without grumbling or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, “children of God without fault in a warped and crooked generation.” Then you will shine among them like stars in the sky."

Seeking to be a builder in the abundant life,
Barry

3 things I thank God for today
1. Mr. Frank
2. Laura's beautiful blue eyes
3. Jesus forgives me of the trash in my life

No comments:

Post a Comment