Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Day 343- An Andalusia First

Today I went to the Three Notch Museum in Andalusia, AL for my "first."

I heard about the museum here in the town that I live in several months back and have been planning on a trip there for one of my "firsts."  In case you haven't noticed (like you've been living under a rock or something), it's December and time is running out on my year of "firsts."  I did not have any "firsts" planned today so it was museum day for me.

The museum is down in an old train depot.  That seemed like a really nice touch to me for a historical building. From what I gathered, the train was a big deal here in Andalusia years ago.  As I walked through the museum, I learned about some other big deals in Andalusia's past.  There were pictures of the Alatex business which was a huge source of employment for the residents of Covington County for many years.  There were pictures of people that were significant to the founding and growth of the town.  I also saw pictures of the town's old football and baseball teams.  That was kind of cool.  Then there were items like old farming implements, sewing machines, cooking utensils, radios, etc. There were even some old pictures of a Sunday School class. It was a really big class.  I would love to have met the teacher.







Cell phone

Hi-tech iron


Microwave

Dental chair; I believe I would ask for the gas if I was facing this chair

Stereo- let's hear some tunes

Word processor

Did they have something for ornery kids?

I would guess there were some tasty pies cooked in this plate

Weedeater







 



As I strolled through the museum, it was very obvious how much this town has changed.  Not only the town, but the way people communicate, travel, work, cook, etc. have all changed dramatically. I think it would be safe to say that the world has changed more in the past 100 years than in any 100 year period in man's history. I can't imagine how different the world looks today to someone in their 80's than it did to them when they were 10.

I was reminded that God never changes. The Bible says in Hebrews 13:8, "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever."  Numbers 23:19 says (NLT), "God is not a man, so he does not lie.
He is not human, so he does not change his mind. Has he ever spoken and failed to act? Has he ever promised and not carried it through?"  The truth that God never changes brings security and stability to my life.  I don't have to worry about God being fickle and changing the rules on me.  I don't have to worry about what will be right and wrong tomorrow. I don't have to be concerned that God is going to change how to pray, how to treat others, or what the goal of life is.  In the midst of a changing world, I love that God is my rock who never changes.

Standing on the Rock in the abundant life
Barry

3 things I thank God for today
1. Founders and shapers of Andalusia, AL
2. My SS teachers when I was growing up
3. The founders of Hopewell Baptist Church

No comments:

Post a Comment