Sunday, December 7, 2014

Day 340- A Decorating First

We did some Christmas decorating at our house today.  We got the Christmas stuff out of the attic (Hannah Grace and Joel both wanted to climb up into the attic this year) and got a good start on putting up some Christmas stuff up around the house.  We went after the tree first. We enjoy decorating our tree together and talking about the ornaments.  Many have sentimental value and some are worth a good laugh. We had Christmas music going and it was a fun family day.  Afterwards, we played games together.










 

 None of this was a "first" for me.  So, I went and decorated the church. If you go to Hopewell, don't freak out just yet.  The last time some men and I decorated the church at Christmas we had a fish and a deer head on the wall.  I did not do that this year.  I put some Scriptures all around the church tonight so they will be found by a few church folks tomorrow. I decorated the church with Scriptures for my "first."

I'm not sure where the idea came from, but I thought it would be cool for a few folks to get to church and there be a Scripture waiting for them where they sit.  Hopefully, this will be an encouragement for some folks and get their worship day started off right.  There is even a chance that God will somehow get a Scripture to someone that really needs it into their hands.  He is certainly capable of that!! God has a way of using His word to really encourage people at just the right time.


The Bible says in Isaiah 40:8, "The grass withers, the flower fades, but the word of our God stands forever."  The Bible also says in Isaiah 55:11, "So shall My word be that goes forth from My mouth; It shall not return to Me void, But it shall accomplish what I please, And it shall prosper in the thing for which I sent it."  I love to share God's word.  One reason is because it is God's word and not mine. I don't have any deep philosophy or incredible insights into life.  We all have opinions and they are just opinions.  God has truth.  When I share God's word I know I am sharing truth and it has the capability to change someone's life if they will believe it. The power to change a life is not something I possess, but God can and will change lives when people believe His word.  So, whether it is in a conversation, through teaching and preaching, or simply laying a card somewhere with a verse or two on it, I love to share God's word.

The next time you go to church (I hope it is soon), listen for God to speak to you through His word.  You might also want to share what God speaks to you. There is a real good chance He did not give that to you just for you.  He'll probably bring someone to your life soon that needs to hear that word as well. 

Listening in the abundant life,
Barry

3 things I thank God for today
1. The power of His word
2. The availability of His word
3. The truth of His word

No comments:

Post a Comment