Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Day 344- A Focusing First

I thought of a phrase this week that I like.  It is actually a fill in the blank phrase.  It goes like this, "Isn't it amazing that God ____."  I like the phrase because it focuses me on God.  It is so easy to get self centered, other centered, scheduled centered when I really want to live a God centered life.  So, today I tried to work the phrase, "Isn't it amazing that God ____" into as many conversations as I could for my "first."

This was challenging to me. I spent the morning in study time and so there was nobody but God around to talk to and try to introduce this phrase into a conversation.  I also went to a funeral today and that did not seem very natural to work that into a conversation there.  I did manage to work it into a conversation at lunch with a friend. I did manage in conversation with Hannah Grace. We saw a beautiful sunset and I said something like, "Isn't it amazing that God can paint a sunset as pretty as that one and on such a large canvas?" I did at choir practice tonight.  I said, "Isn't it amazing that God would let us do what angels do; worship Him?"  I know I would never have done that if I wasn't doing this as part of my year of "firsts."  There were a couple of other times I was able to work this phrase into a conversation. 

I did not say this as much as I had hoped today, but more than I normally do. The people that I said it to mostly said something like, "Yes, that's cool."  Nobody told me I was stupid for saying that. Of course, most of the people I said it to were believers and I'm either their Dad or pastor.  It's good they did not tell me I was stupid for saying that. It was not much of a risk.


It is amazing that God will let us be His child
 


That God would let me be married to Laura is amazing

If you've never read Jim and Elisabeth Elliot's story, it is amazing


We hide a nail in our Christmas tree to symbolize Jesus' crucifixion

I think I will try to say this more often.  I live in a culture where going to church is pretty normal but talking in great and lofty ways about Jesus is not so normal. It should be. If we read the Bible and believe it then Jesus should blow our minds.  I mean come on, here's a guy that was sinless, walked on water, healed the sick, gave sight to the blind, gave hearing to the deaf, called a dead guy out of a grave, and rose again from the dead.  That's pretty amazing stuff.  It seems like growing up with the Bible and Bible culture can sort of numb us to the greatness and goodness of our God if we are not careful!

I don't want to be someone that just reads the Bible and agrees with it without being astounded.  Jesus really is amazing.  He's the most amazing person that has ever entered my mind. He's the most amazing person that I've ever encountered.  Tonight at church we sang a song that says,
Lord, You are more precious than silver;
Lord, You are more costly than gold;
Lord, You are more beautiful than diamonds;
And nothing I desire compares with You.

If you want to try to work in the phrase "Isn't it amazing that God ____," into conversations today, please help yourself.  God has called us to glorify Him and this seems like a good way to do that.

Amazed by Jesus in the abundant life,
Barry

3 things I thank God for today
1. He is amazing
2. He invites me to worship Him
3. Christian ties

No comments:

Post a Comment