Sunday, December 21, 2014

Day 355- A Rolling First

We had a good day of worship on the Sunday before Christmas today.  After church, we had a meal tonight.  We got through around 9:00 which was a pretty long day for the pastor.  Joel asked me what my "first" was today.  Alas, I had none.  He and I got to goofing around in my office and before you know it, we had a "first."

Today my children and I took turns pushing each other down the hall at church in an office chair for my "first."

This is what happens when it is late, you don't have a "first," and it is up to you and your 10 year old son to come up with an idea.  We are at  odds about who came up with the idea. I think it as my idea and Joel thinks it was his idea.  I guess we'll share credit for it tonight.

It turned out to be pretty fun.  One of us would ride in the chair, one would push, and one would take pictures.  We did this after everyone else had gone home. This is probably not a "first" I'll do when there are other people at church and probably one I will tell my children not to do anymore.  Yet, it was actually pretty fun tonight and we had some laughs with it.  It seems that Joel and I are the fastest pushers and Hannah Grace is the best photographer and screamer.  I would like to issue a disclaimer that no church property or furniture was destroyed or hurt during the execution (hmm, not a great choice of words) of this "first."

When we got in the car to go home, Joel said, "That was cool, but I still like my deer first the best."  If you don't know what the deer first was please see yesterday's blog. I agreed with him. Not every day can  be as exciting as killing your first deer, but you can still look for ways to have some fun with each other. 










  
 





My children spend a lot of time at church.  One thing I want is for them to have fun at church.  Of course, I want them to worship God, fall in love with Jesus, and learn to serve God by serving others.  If we are not careful as adults we can constantly be telling children things not to do at church.. Things like don't run, be quiet, don't be loud, and so on.  While sometimes we do have to tell children those things I don't want that to be the main thing my children hear at church. I love the fact that they love to go to church. They love their teachers and friends.  When they were smaller, I told them not to run at church when there were grown-ups (especially senior adults) close by, but they could run, laugh, and play otherwise.  They have to respect others and church property, but I want them to enjoy life at church.

I think Jesus is OK with this.  There was a time when people wanted Jesus to bless their children.  The disciples were trying to keep them away.  They probably thought Jesus had more important things to do other than spending time with children.  Here's what the Bible says in Mark 10: 13-16, " People were bringing little children to Jesus for him to place his hands on them, but the disciples rebuked them. When Jesus saw this, he was indignant. He said to them, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. Truly I tell you, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it.” And he took the children in his arms, placed his hands on them and blessed them."

I love that Jesus took the children into His arms. He loved children and it seems they must have loved Him. He could not have been too much of a grump if the children love Him.  Maybe He would have even pushed office chairs with us tonight.

Laughing in the abundant life,
Barry

3 things I thank God for today
1. Office chairs that roll
2. Laughter in church
3. Jesus loves children

No comments:

Post a Comment