Thursday, December 25, 2014

Day 359- A Horse First

Today is Christmas. Happy Birthday, Jesus!!  We had a wonderful time celebrating Jesus' birthday with our family and some close friends.  I hope you did, too.

One of the gifts that Hannah Grace and Joel received today was a basketball goal and a basketball.  Joel and I had a lot of fun playing basketball together today.  I challenged him to a game of horse. Once I thought about it, I've never  played a game of horse with Joel and it's been over 20 years since I remember playing a game of horse  with anyone.  I played a game of horse with Joel today for my "first."

If you've never played horse before in basketball the rules are pretty simple.  One person goes first and takes a shot. If they make it, the other person has to make that same shot or they get an "H."  If they miss, the other person gets to shoot. If they make their shot, then their opponent has to make that same shot or they get an "H."  The game goes that way. Every time someone makes a shot and the other person can't make that same shot, they get a letter. The first person to get all the letters of horse loses.

As a boy of Joel's age and into my teen years, I loved playing horse.  At my house, I had a basketball goal and practiced a lot of shots from different places so I could make them fairly regularly.  For Coolidge Street, I played a pretty fair game of horse.  Today I noticed that a lot of my shots were falling short. I guess I could attribute that to either age or that it's been a long time since I've shot a basketball. I'm going with it's been a long time since I've shot a basketball.

Joel won the first game.  Hannah Grace asked me if I went easy on him. I honestly told her that I did not.  He's been shooting basketball almost every day at school.  It seems that he would be favored in the first match-up.  I won the second game. We were pretty competitive after that.  I've not lost my shot altogether though it is seriously rusty.  Also, after several games of horse my knee kind of hurts.





Joel doing the figure 8



Lay-up



Good for 2 points

 


 



This is so Laura

You've heard the expression "Use it or lose it."  If you don't use a certain skill you will deteriorate in that skill. Those skills can be things like playing the piano, riding a bike, or shooting a basketball.  It's also true that if we don't recall Scriptures to our mind we will lose them to some degree.  That is one reason it is good to meditate on the Scriptures. The more I call Scriptures to mind, the more I remember them. I usually try to read a couple of chapters from the Bible in my time alone with the Lord.  I also try to grab one verse or so to carry with me to think about through the day.

It is also good to talk with people about the Scriptures as much as possible. That helps us from forgetting certain Scriptures as well.  The more I can say something like, "That reminds me of a verse in 2 Corinthians" or something like that the more those verses stay in the front of my mind.  This is why it is good to have conversations with people that ask questions about the Bible or Christianity.  It will force you to try to think of verses that deal with certain subjects. If you can't think of one, that is good as well because it will encourage  you to go look some verses up.  The more we think and talk the Scriptures, the more likely we are to keep those Scriptures we've read and studied.

Isn't it amazing that God has given us His book. Let's be faithful to study, think, and talk about it and in turn talk about the One whose birthday we celebrate today.

Celebrating Jesus in the abundant life,
Barry

3 things I thank God for today
1. A loving Christmas with family and close friends
2. Jesus was born as a human being
3. Jesus knows what it is like to be a human being



No comments:

Post a Comment