Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Day 337- A Discount First

I was out of town visiting a friend who had surgery today (it went well).  Laura mentioned that she needed something from out of town at a store that we don't have in our town.  It was a fabric store and she needed something for some crafts that she plans to make with some junior high students.  My wife is very thoughtful.  She called the store, told them what she wanted, and had them to hold it for me when I got there. All I had to do was say, "My wife called and you are supposed to be holding something for Barry Wilkinson."  That saved me from wandering around a craft store trying to locate something that I don't even know what it is.

I called Laura while I was hunting the store because I was not sure of the name.  She told me and then asked me if I would mind using a coupon.  I said, "Well, I don't think it would be profitable to drive home and get a coupon for 20% off of a $20 purchase."  I said this nicely and I did not use those exact words.  She said she thought she could send it to me from her computer at home. This sounds pretty easy to most people, but given our history I had a pretty low confidence level on this task.  However, Laura was able to send it to me from her laptop and I used an electronic coupon at a fabric store for my "first."

I saw the coupon on my phone and it said, "tap to redeem."   Well, I wasn't in the store and did not know how tapping my phone was going to get me 20% off when I went in.  So, I decided not to tap till I got to the cashier.  When I got ready to check out, I told her that I wanted to use a coupon on my phone. Then, I showed her my phone and asked how this worked.  She told me to tap the tap button.  I said, "Right now?"  I wanted to tap at the right time.  She said yes and a bar code showed up on my phone. She shot it with her little scanner gun and off came 20%.  That was not nearly as hard as I was thinking.  I may even try this again some day.  I do think the scanner gun is probably the highlight of being a cashier.  I also think the fun of using that would wear off in about 15 minutes.



I saw this sign at the hospital today.  What they doing; having gurney races to surgery or something?


Look at what I found on my car after church tonight!!










It's amazing what can be done with electronics.  Laura sees a coupon on her computer, shoots it to me, and I show it to a cashier who scans it and a transaction is made.  That is very simple compared to all the stuff that can be done electronically, but it is still kind of cool. I thought about that as we studied 2 Corinthians 5:9-10 in church tonight.  Those verses say, "So we make it our goal to please him, whether we are at home in the body or away from it. For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each of us may receive what is due us for the things done while in the body, whether good or bad."  It is amazing that God knows everything we do.  All my words, motives, and actions are seen and remembered by God.  One day all believers in Christ will either receive rewards or suffer losses according to what happens at the judgement seat of Christ.  This is not to determine if we are saved or who gets to go to heaven. Praise God, Jesus secured our salvation through His sinless life, substitutionary death and resurrection. We are saved when we repent of our sin and trust in Him.  Yet, our heavenly rewards are determined by what we do with what God gives us.  I don't know exactly what those rewards will look like, but knowing our God I know they will be very good. They will be worth having. They may even turn out to be presents that we can offer back to Him.

Knowing that we are to stand before the judgement seat of Christ should inspire us to keep on living for Jesus in those areas where we are.  The main idea in those verses is found in verse 9 where it says that our goal is to please Him. Pleasing God is the focus.  If we are living away from God right now, these verses ought to be a real encouragement to come back to Jesus today. I don't know what day I will stand before Him so I should seek to be ready everyday.

Sobered in the abundant life,
Barry

3 things I thank God for today
1. Joy of marriage
2. Coupons
3. Chipmunks

No comments:

Post a Comment