Sunday, December 28, 2014

Day 362- A Penny First

Yesterday we went to the Bass Pro Shop. We don't have one of these very close to where we live so it's a special treat for us to go to the Bass Pro Shop. It's quite an interesting store for us.  While we were driving away from the store, I called the store to see what time they fed the big fish in the aquarium.  The lady said at 2:00.  I said, "So, if I come to the store tomorrow at 2:00 I can watch the fish being fed?"  She said yes.  This sounded like a good "first."

Hannah Grace, Joel, and I arrived at the  Bass Pro Shop at 1:45 and stayed until 2:30 and the fish were not fed.  Rats!  My "first" did not happen. Instead of us being entertained by watching the fish being fed, we had to do something else. We did our own trick in front of the Bass Pro Shop for my "first."

To be fair, it's not much of a trick but we (me) were in a tight for a "first." So, I walked in front of Joel and without looking at him flipped a penny over my head and he caught it while we never broke stride from walking. After that, I did the same thing with Hannah Grace.  Admittedly, it is not juggling or swallowing a sword, but we have never done this in front of a Bass Pro Shop before. It qualifies as a "first" and is something I would not have done if it were not for my year of "firsts."

Both children caught the penny.  In truth, one did not catch it on the first try but said he/she said I flipped it when they were not ready.  Somehow this turned out to be my fault. That was not terribly surprising.

This was fun.  Both children thought this was more fun than simply walking out to the car feeling a bit disappointed. It may not have been as exciting as watching the big fish being fed, but it did spice the day up some.

 Hannah Grace, Joel, and we presume a hungry garfish in the aquarium







We went to a friend's house who laid her bathroom floor in pennies; Joel looked closely and found a wheat penny


You can't always depend on others for your own happiness.  I don't know why the fish feeding did not happen. Maybe the lady on the phone looked at the wrong schedule. Maybe the fish feeding guy had the flu or an operation. Maybe I misunderstood the lady on the phone (I doubt this one).  It really doesn't matter.  Sometimes we think people will act in a certain way or do a particular thing and they do not. That is no reason to give your happiness away.   We don't ever need to put our happiness as someone else's responsibility.  That's too much responsibility for anybody.  Only God can truly meet the needs of our hearts. The fulfillment, love, meaning, and joy of our life needs to come from a deep and real relationship with God.  When that is right, we can have joy in each other but not put the responsibility for our joy on someone else. There is a big difference.

Augustine wrote many years ago, "You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you."  When our needs are met in Christ we can enjoy others without making them responsible for things they can't possibly do like make us happy.  Romans 14:17 says, "For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking but of righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit."  So, draw  near to God and let Him satisfy your heart. If you are disappointed today in your friend, family, or your church you can do something besides blame and complain. You can go to God who is the only real satisfier.  Hmm, I wonder if they'll feed the fish tomorrow.

Grateful that God is the satisfier in the abundant life,
Barry

3 things I thank God for today
1. Jesus is the Bread of life
2. Big fish in big aquarium
3. Shrimp etouffee

No comments:

Post a Comment