Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Day 351- A Tiger Butter First

Laura is famous around here for a dessert that she makes called tiger butter.  Hannah Grace had a Christmas party this afternoon and wanted Laura to make tiger butter for her to bring.  Unfortunately, Laura had an out-of-town dentist appointment and was not able to do that.  Hannah Grace and I made tiger butter for her Christmas party for my "first" today.

I've never made tiger butter before.  I've never made treats for one of my children's Christmas parties before.  This was a "first" on both counts. Hannah Grace and I both had a good time and we both love tiger butter.  This was a rewarding "first."

Laura has told me several times that this was very easy to make.  She was right, though ours did not have stripes in it.  The stripes are why it's called tiger butter. It has nothing to do with tigers or butter.  Ours turned out to be a solid light brown (which is the base color) so Hannah Grace and I called it bunny butter.

There are three ingredients.  They are white chocolate, peanut butter, and chocolate chips.  You would not take this to a weight watcher's meeting.  You can do just about anything you want with those three ingredients and it'll be good.  You break the white chocolate up and put the peanut butter on top of it.  You melt that and stir it well.  Then, you slowly stir in the chocolate chips.  This is where the striping comes in.  After that, you pour it out on wax paper and put it in the freezer for 30 minutes.  That would be kind of hard to mess up.

Hannah Grace also went to town for lunch today with a friend (and responsible adult).  This friend had a phone and they texted me about something.  I texted back and then we started texting pictures and emoji's back and forth.  When they got back home, they were laughing and saying how much fun that was and how that should be my "first."  I thought the tiger butter was better, but since they had fun I am including that as a "first" for today as well. 







 
 





What do you know? There was enough left over for me


Since the tiger (or bunny) butter was not that hard, I might make that for myself or a party again.  I just assumed that it was really harder than Laura was saying.  You can be done with this and ready to eat in 45-50 minutes.  I just figured it would be more complicated than I thought.

It can be this way in following Jesus at times. Some things are harder than others.  Some things just seem hard because someone has never done them.  Very often when you do something for the first time, it feels kind of odd.  You might feel a little unsure of  yourself.  I sure did today, but now I feel pretty good about the tiger butter thing. The first time you share your faith with someone may feel a bit odd and you may feel a bit unsure about yourself.  You pray and talk to someone about Jesus and you realize that you don't have to know everything about the Bible.  You don't have to have answers for every conceivable question they may ask. You simply tell them what Jesus has done for you.  You can share some Scripture verses about how to be saved.  You realize that the Holy Spirit can enable you to do this.

The same thing is basically true about praying out loud for people, blessing people with your generosity, or speaking encouraging words to others. Pray, trust the Spirit and obey. You'll not do everything perfectly and you'll learn to do things better.  You'll never learn to follow Jesus by sitting around and being afraid.  2 Timothy 1:7 says, " For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind."  Some of my biggest regrets is from the things that I never tried to do.

Trying new things in the abundant life,
Barry

3 things I thank God for today
1. Tiger butter
2. Texting with Hannah Grace and Katie Beth
3. Peppermints

No comments:

Post a Comment