Sunday, March 2, 2014

Day 61- A Sunday Lunch First

Sunday lunch in the South is a pretty big deal for many people.  Many people will go to their Momma's for Sunday lunch and there will be a big meal.  There will be things like fried chicken, chicken and dumplings, roast and potatoes, and a ton of garden vegetables plus a pie or cake for dessert.  It's not a bad tradition and one I'm all for keeping.

Today Laura fixed some garlic roasted chicken, rice, and field peas.  For dessert, I had crickets.  That's right, real crickets.  For my "first" today, I ate crickets.

Someone told me a while back that there was a store in Destin that sold crickets for human consumption.  So, when Laura and I were there last week I found the store and bought some crickets.  They had different flavors believe it or not.  Of course, the bacon and cheese sounded the best to me.   Anything is better with some bacon on it unless it's dessert and then you put chocolate or caramel on it.  I also found some chocolate covered ones that looked even better.  I'm not sure if crickets are an entree or a dessert.  Maybe they are classified as "other."

I asked the family if they wanted to participate in my "first." What do you think they said?




Hannah Grace gives the crickets a thumbs down

Laura, the peace corps girl that ate bugs, says no

Joel says, "Are you kidding me?"




Yes, I really did eat the crickets.  Surprisingly, they did not taste too bad.  Mostly just a crunchy deal with not much flavor; not that I wanted more cricket flavor.  Not surprisingly, the chocolate covered ones were the best. Perhaps I should try out for Survivor!


Laura comes around and joins the fun

Petty romantic, white chocolate covered crickets

This was pretty fun to do as a family. It was not as bad as I thought, but I'm not requesting cricket leftovers for tomorrow night.  Yes, there were leftovers because I did not get a cricket "happy plate."  I did eat 3 or 4. The kids thought it was pretty funny that Laura joined in. So, it occurs to me that I gave Krispy Kreme doughnuts to a Sunday School class and I ate crickets. There is definitely something wrong with this picture.

While this was fun it is not something I would want to do as a regular dietary habit. It really is just a novelty.  I plan to eat more nutritious food on a daily basis (though I did not consult the nutritional value of the crickets).  As Christians, there are a lot of novelty type things that come along.  There are books about all kinds of secret codes in the Bible, lost tribes and lost books, and even Christian fads.  Some of that is OK if you understand it's a fad and a novelty item.  We really need the solid nutritious food of God's Word consistently.  We need to be taking in solid food on the beauty of Christ, the majesty of God, what full surrender means, the meaning of the cross, how to live a Spirit filled life, the necessity of repentance, and the importance of evangelism and discipleship just to name a few.  Nothing can take the place of good solid Bible doctrine. Make sure in this entertainment saturated and fantasy seeking culture you don't substitute novelties and fads for solid spiritual nutrition.  You'll sure be healthier and you won't feel like chirping at night.

Eating for the abundant life

Barry

3 things I thank God for today
1. Privilege of preaching revival services at Mobley Creek
2. Clover
3. Leaves

No comments:

Post a Comment