Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Day 78- A Speaking First

Today I decided to speak God's word as much as I could for my "first." 

This was a pretty cool "first."  I did not want to advertise "I'm speaking God's word today" or anything but just to try to work His word into conversations.  When people would ask me how I was doing, I would say "This is the day the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it."  When Laura left going somewhere, I said peace and grace to you from God our Father. She sort of laughed and said peace to you, too. She cast a strange look my way but was smiling.  I also managed to work in "We are overwhelming conquerors in Christ" into one conversation as well as "God is near to the brokenhearted." I shared John 3:16 with the kids I picked up from school and one even asked me to say it again.  It was the only call for an encore all day and it was from a first grader; way to go Jack Benjamin!! It was challenging and uplifting to try to speak God's word as much as I could without being goofy about it.




This was probably the easiest to work in a conversation all day


I was hopeful that speaking God's word would encourage people.  It did; one in particular.  I went to the funeral home to see a family from our church who had a loved one pass away. When I left there, I needed to go to church for our prayer service.  I had a little bit of time on the way back so I stopped and got some chicken and spend a little time looking over my notes for tonight. I had a very nice time. When I went out to my car to drive out to the church, my car would not crank. That was not quite as nice of a time.  The key would not turn a bit.  I fiddled with it for 5-8 minutes and realized if I don't call a friend to help me here, I'm going to miss church.  So I called a buddy of mine who came  and let me use his truck. I spend about 20 minutes total jiggling this key trying to get it to turn.  Of course, there will be people you know come by and offer to help and even though it's not my fault, I still feel like a doofus sitting there and my key won't turn.

My buddy lets me drive his truck and I'm driving along just sort of thinking that this is not a great time to have to put the car in the shop. We have a lot going in the next few days. Of course, when is a good time to have to pay a mechanic to fix your car.  This is kind of what I'm thinking as I drive along.  Then, it hit me.  Speak God's word, Barry. That's what this day is about.  So, I just start speaking God's word out loud.  Here are a few Scriptures I spoke:
  • 1 John 4:4- Little children, you are from God and have overcome them, for he who is in you is greater than he who is in the world.
  • Philippians 4:13-I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
  • Romans 8:28-And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who  love God, to those who are called according to His purpose
  • Romans 8:1- Therefore there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.
  • 1 Thessalonians 5: 16-18-  Rejoice always; 17 pray without ceasing; 18 in everything give thanks; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.
  • Ephesians 5: 18-20-  And do not get drunk with wine, for that is dissipation, but be filled with the Spirit, 19 speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody with your heart to the Lord; 20 always giving thanks for all things in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ
It was pretty cool how this brought my mind back to the Lord and His goodness.  I arrived at church 2 minutes late and in a wonderful frame of mind and spirit to lead the prayer service. I was the one who got encouraged by my "first" of speaking God's word.  I thought it would be someone else and it ended up being me.  Yes, there is power in speaking God's word.  You are free to try this "first" out for yourself!! I heartily recommend it.

Speaking for the abundant life
Barry

3 things I thank God for today.
1. The father and daughter I saw riding in a truck and both were laughing today
2. Friends who let you borrow their trucks
3. Power of God's word

No comments:

Post a Comment