Friday, March 14, 2014

Day 73- A Hair First

Today was haircut day for me.  When the lady (Tara) came to tell me it was time to have my hair cut she said she had a "first" idea for me. I thought great.  With the Ugandan Choir here, I had an abundance of "first" opportunities.  Now that they are gone, so has a bunch of "first" opportunities and I was kind of dry on "first" ideas.

I said great and what is it.  She said they had gotten in some new hair colors that would wash out of your hair.  Tara says we could put a bit of color in my hair.  I think to myself, "Not so great."  I want to be game and so I ask her about the colors.  She shows me that she has bronze, bright red, purple, green, etc.  As I look at these displays, I would agree that they are quite the bright colors.

I suggest that she cut my hair and I can sort of think about it.  I think seeing people that put bright colors in their hair is kind of fun.  It did not seem as much fun when suggested to me. Not a big fan of colored hair for Barry.  But, the thought hit me, if I'm going to do this, the year of "firsts" is the time to do it.  I ask a few questions and Tara thinks maybe a small portion of hair in the back would be good.  I agree (I had been envisioning this big wide purple slash across the front of my hair).  Co-conspirator Julie thinks that we should do a bigger splash.  We decide purple would be a good color.

Julie says go for it 

Barry wondering if it's too late

The before picture

The process begins

I think Tara is enjoying this a bit too much

Finished product

I have a purple slash in my hair now for my "first."  "It does wash out, right," I ask. Sure, in 2-10 washings.  What?? 2-10?  That means I could have purple hair on Sunday (which I'm trying to avoid) or the cleanest hair in the church.  We'll have to see which come Sunday.

We took votes on who would be the first to recognize the purple in my hair in my family.  Joel got 2 votes, Hannah Grace 1, and Laura 0. So, at 9:00 p.m. nobody has noticed it yet and the kids are in bed.

As far as the spiritual meaning of this; well, sometimes you do something just because it's fun and helps people to laugh. Of course, I could say that purple is the royal color (it is) and if Jesus was King of my thoughts (purple in my hair on my head where my thoughts originate), my life would be much more pleasing to Him and probably a lot less stressful to me.  I am finding that the more I work on Scripture memory and going over verses in my mind, the healthier my thoughts are and the more I have peace in my heart. Most of what bothers us are thoughts and you can change a thought.  I'm learning that instead of resisting sinful, unhealthy, and unhelpful thoughts, I need to replace them.  If I find myself dwelling on things I should not, then I can just go to work on some Bible verses and my  mind has something else to focus on. The Bible says in Philippians 4:8-Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things.

Having fun in the abundant life
Barry

3 things I thank God for today
1. Purple
2. A fun hair cutter
3. Hamburgers at 2 Guys Pies

No comments:

Post a Comment