Monday, March 24, 2014

Day 83- A Birthday First

Happy Birthday to me!  That's right, today is my birthday. My sweet family was really thoughtful to me today.  I received cards in the mail, presents, hugs, kisses, and a birthday cookie with ice cream.  That's a pretty good birthday in my book. 

Birthday loot

Shrimp fettuccine for my birthday meal per request (I was asked to make a request)

Happy me

What a great gift from my thoughtful family


Yum yum (and no, I was not finished; just pausing for a picture for the blog)

Birthdays are fun if you can't forget the fact that you are a year older. Truthfully, I should be excited that I'm a day closer to seeing Jesus face to face, but honestly turning a year older is not a lot of fun to me.  It is a time to thank God for the years He has given me.  It's also a good time to assess whether I'm using my time as God would have me to use it.  I can't save time.  I can either spend it wastefully or invest it wisely.  Birthdays are good occasions to think and pray about that.

Birthdays are also a good time to receive gifts.  I'm hoping to use some of my birthday money to go deep-sea fishing. That's one of the "firsts" I want to do this year.  Laura suggested today that I might want to give a gift to someone on my birthday for a "first."  My first words were, "But I want to get something."  She said I could get something and still give a gift.  So, I gave a gift for my birthday "first" today.

As I thought about it, I decided to give a gift to persecuted Christians. My heart is troubled by the fact that many Christians are martyred every year.  Many pastor's families are without their daddies and husbands because they have been killed for their faith.  So, I made a small donation to "The Voice of the Martyrs" to be used where they need it most.  They do the best job of any organization that I'm familiar with in helping persecuted Christians around the world. If you are interested, you can visit their website at www.persecution.com

The cookie cake and chocolate chip ice cream were really good. I think the gift to persecuted Christians will matter a lot more in eternity.

Giving for the abundant life
Barry

3 things I thank God for today
1. Another birthday
2. Family birthday pictures
3. Chocolate chip cookie cakes with icing

No comments:

Post a Comment