Saturday, March 29, 2014

Day 88- A Captain Underpants First

I did not do a very good job of being intentional about today's first.  I had some office work to catch up on and I did a wedding this afternoon.  What ended up happening is that I had not done a "first" when the kids' bedtime rolled around.  They were asking me what I had done for my "first." This has been one of the cool things about doing a year of "firsts."  Hannah Grace and Joel are pretty into it.  When I said I needed one, Joel spoke up and said, "Why don't you read one of my Captain Underpants books. They are pretty good."  Not having anything else really good in mind, I said yes.  I read a Captain Underpants book for my "first."

I was thinking this was like a 25 page book. Joel said he would pick out a good one and brings back a book that is about 300 pages long.  Really???  RATS!  Did I mention it was their bedtime when I get this idea.  Not one to give up easily, I pushed ahead and read the entire book.

My idea man


Not a spoiler, but you get the drift

Riveting

Much of it is what you would expect from a 9 year old's book.  There are plenty of explosions and fights.  The principal of the school is not cast in a very good light. The villain's name is Tippy Tinkletrousers. At one point, some talking toilets were after Captain Underpants, but our friends George and Harold (kindergarten boys) saved the day by killing the talking toilets by throwing cafeteria food in them.  You get the idea.  Pretty funny stuff if you are 9.

The main them of this Captain Underpants book (that's a sentence fragment I really thought I'd never write) is that the bullies of the school (they steal lunch money and give wedgies) are outwitted by some smart kindergartners; i.e. Harold and George.  They use their brains against the bullies brawn. I'll not give away the exciting (and slightly disconcertingly dark) ending because I know many of you will be rushing out to read Captain Underpants.

Can you find a spiritual message in Captain Underpants? Oh yes, you can.  The message is that the poor kindergartners needed a deliverer. The bullies were too strong and too mean to overcome.  They were being bullied and having their lunch money stolen; not to mention the indignity of wedgies.  If not for Harold and George, their school days would have been very miserable.  However, they were rescued.

We all need a rescuer. Sin and Satan love to bully us around.  1 Peter 5:8  says, "Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour."  You do not have to be devoured.  A Savior has come.  Your deliverer has arrived.  Cling to Him. Call out to Him.  Don't fight your battles in your own strength.

Happy for the abundant life in Jesus
Barry

3 things I thank God for today
1. Jesus is my deliverer
2. Toes
3. Helpful people

No comments:

Post a Comment