Sunday, March 30, 2014

Day 89- A Cold Water Challenge- Part 2

So, a week or two back I jumped in a pool with cold water to raise awareness for clean drinking water in Africa.  I was happy about doing that and grateful that all my family did it.  Something has been bugging me about that challenge.  I've not been able to shake it for the last several days.  Here's the thing: me jumping into a pool of cold water doesn't help people get clean drinking water.  Since I did that I've had this nagging feeling that I've done something that seems like a good thing but actually is not much of a help.

Today, I donated money to help some friends of mine who are working to provide a clean drinking water well for a village that does not have one for my "first."  I've given money to their well instead of Christmas or birthday presents, but I've never (I write that regretfully) actually donated to their well.  Today I did.

Here's the thing: I know people who are doing this. They are saving money to put a drinking well in a village.  There are ample ways to provide clean drinking water. This has been on my mind since I jumped in the pool.  I need to actually do something about this problem.  Too often I get caught with good intentions without actually doing anything of real value.

How precious is water to those who don't have it

I'm glad Joel has some

God wants all children to have clean drinking water

I'm glad Hannah Grace has some

It is hard for me to imagine that Joel and/or Hannah Grace would be thirsty and not have any clean drinking water available. That's the truth for too many people. God loves them and they are just as precious to Him as my children.  It's hard to know how much we are responsible for providing for those who don't have what we have in terms of food and water.  Certainly, we are to do something. Then there are those who have not experienced the living water of Jesus.  I need to be about sharing Christ with them so they can have the deepest need (and thirst) of their life satisfied.

James 1:22 says, "But prove yourselves doers of the word, and not merely hearers who delude themselves."  The NLT translation puts it this way, "Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says."  I know how easy it is for me to listen to the Word and feel good about it and intend to do something with it.  Then, time goes on and I forget or other things come my way and I end up not doing anything. I deceive myself by thinking I've done something good when I've only thought about it.  This year of "firsts" is about helping me to quit having good intentions and actually do what God wants me to do. 

Seeking to live (not just intend to) the abundant life
Barry

3 things I thank God for today
1. Fingers
2. Sealing of the Holy Spirit
3. Hot showers

No comments:

Post a Comment