Saturday, March 1, 2014

Day 60- A Sweet First

As a pastor, my thoughts tend to go toward worship on Saturdays.  I've been studying and preparing all week for a day of worship with my brothers and sisters. Laura usually tells our children on Sunday mornings that Sundays are her favorite day of the week because she gets to worship the Almighty King with her church family.  I hope you feel the same way.

As Saturday afternoon turns into Saturday evening, I'm faced with what to do for a "first" today.  The thought comes to me from somewhere that I could go buy some Krispy Kreme doughnuts (from Wal-Mart since the nearest Krispy Kreme is around 80-90 miles away) and leave them in a Sunday School room for someone tomorrow.  I've brought treats to my class before, but not for someone else's class. So, I'm sorry if you are in my class.  Right now, there's a dozen of Krispy Kreme glazed doughnuts and some doughnut holes sitting in a Sunday School classroom.  I know this is a bit of a spoiler, but I did not want to drive to town tomorrow morning and do this.

I do realize I'm running a risk of other classes being upset that they didn't get doughnuts. That seems a bit too much for me to get every class some doughnuts.  Plus, at Hopewell, I'm not running much of a risk of someone being upset. 

 Rats, this pictureis upside down and I don't know how to fix it once it's here- probably won't affect the taste



I also left a note that says "Enjoy, God bless you. Psalm 119: 103.  I do expect the verse to be read before the doughnuts are eaten. It's the best doughnut verse I have.

Here's what I got to thinking as I was doing this.  It's fun to surprise people.  Also, what are we bringing to church tomorrow?  Everybody does not need to bring doughnuts (though it's not a bad idea), but we do need to bring something.  1 Corinthians 14:26- What then, brothers? When you come together, each one has a hymn, a lesson, a revelation, a tongue, or an interpretation. Let all things be done for building up.

It sounds like each person is to bring something to church that will build up the body (doughnuts build the body in a different way). We should all bring something from God's word that has been meaningful to us from our week.  We should bring a testimony of what God is doing in our lives.  We should bring a heart of praise and thanksgiving. We should bring a heart of faith expecting God to move. That's a lot better than going to church and expecting everybody to give to you. When every member is sharing, the body grows.  If we bring complaining and griping hearts to church, that is not very helpful. If we bring a lukewarm heart, that's going to inspire many.  If we bring a heart that has just had an argument with our family, that's not ideal.  Of course, sometimes we do bring heartaches, strife, disagreements and the like in our hearts. It's good to be honest about those and let our brothers and sisters encourage us and pray for us. The truth is that everyone will bring something to church tomorrow (assuming that you go).  What are you bringing to church tomorrow?

Hungry for the abundant life

Barry

3 things I thank God for today
1. An office to study in
2. E-Sword- a free Bible program on the Internet
3. Bible Concordance

No comments:

Post a Comment